Ozarks Alliance To End Homelessness
Information on Crisis Cold Weather Shelters: Winter 2019
Crisis Cold Weather Shelters operate between November 1 and March 31. There will be two overnight shelters available for adults; one for men and one for women. Shelters announce by 2:00 p.m. each day if they will be open that night, based on the temperature forecast. If the men's shelter is open, the women's shelter will be open (and vice versa). Shelters post openings via their individual Facebook pages and signs are posted at the Springfield Affordable Housing Center. ID's and background checks are not required at either shelter.
Crisis shelter for children is available year-round through Isabel's House, ages birth - 12, (865-2273) and Great Circle, ages birth - 18, (861-4244).
- Doors open at 8:00 p.m. except for Monday and Wednesday nights, when they open around 8:30 p.m.
- Notice of opening posted on East Sunshine Facebook page: East Sunshine Church of Christ Men's Cold Weather Shelters.
- Doors open at 9:00 p.m. - women are welcome on the property starting at 8:45 p.m. Entrance is on the east side under the blue awning.
- Notice of opening posted on Council of the Churches of the Ozarks Facebook page and on automated message line: 417-379-7332.
- On days when Crisis Cold Weather Shelters are open, Connecting Grounds (1109 E Commercial St. Springfield, MO 65803) will be open from 4:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m. and busses will pick up there to transport to the shelters. Busses will drop individuals off at Veterans Coming Home the next morning. Transportation will NOT be available on Thanksgiving, New Years Days or Christmas Day.
Both Crisis Cold Weather Shelters and the pick-up location at Connecting Grounds are staffed by volunteers. Individuals and groups interested in supporting these efforts can reach out to the following contacts for more information: